|1811||39 Inhabited houses||7; Families - 7; House building - None; Houses uninhabited - None; All employed in agriculture. Males - 24 Females - 15.|
|1851||50||White's Gazetteer comments, "One farm house and a few scattered cottages: John Arman, farmer and grazier at Ashby Hall Farm"|
|1871||95||In 1875 R.H. Reeve was Lord of the Manor. Lady Crossley the chief landowner.|
|1881||110||Thomas Coleby, farmer at Ashby Hall, Surveyor, overseer, guardian.|
|1891||88||Mr. Thompson, farmer, Ashby Hall.|
|1901||89||Mr. John Teesdale, farmer, Ashby Hall.|
|1911||107||Mr. James Rolfe, farmer, Ashby Hall (1908-25).|
|1921||87||Chief Crops: wheat, barley, turnips. From 1925-31 Ashby Hall Farm was occupied by Mr. Thomas Lang, and after 1931 by Mr. & Mrs. Sam Long. Up to 1935 Richard Henry Reeve's Trustees were empowered by his will to act as Lord of the Manor.|
The houses in Ashby Dell were built by Sir Samuel Morton Peto of Somerleyton Hall in 1846 for the benefit of the farmworkers on the Ashby Hall Farm. Over the years many families have lived in the Dell, each contributing in their own way to preserving and
maintaining the lovely rural setting. They tended their pretty cottage gardens and their children played happily in a natural safe playground. They all helped with the upkeep of the Church as it was the people of the Dell who cleaned the Church, did what repairs they could to the fabric, tended the oil lamps and kept the gravestones and Churchyard tidy.
Ashby Dell was also well known for the Donkey Close which was situated behind the Old Rectory. Here the donkeys were kept, t fetch and carry the washing from as far away as Lowestoft. Coppers were lit at 5 a.m., lines were full of washing and deliveries
were made each day. Two cast iron coppers still remain in the wash houses of the Dell Cottages.
Up the steep little hill out of the Dell, is the Hall Farm occupied by Mr. & Mrs. Sam Long for forty years. For nearly thirty years Mr. Long was a hard working Churchwarden and Treasurer of the Church. He died in 1975. Along Market Lane, towards Somerleyton, is Beech Farm occupied by the Prettyman family for nearly two hundred years. The family were, and still are, staunch workers for the Church. The house was originally two cottages and is at least three hundred years old.
The gift of the Glebe to the benefice appears to date from the time of Robert de Inglose Knt. Lord of the Manor of Ashby, who made the gift of land to Robert de Mundford (1333-1354). The possession of glebe lands has a long history - before a Saxon thegn or a later Norman nobleman and landowner, could establish an ecclesiastical parish in sole cure he first had to provide a suitable house for the priest and an adequate freeholding or glebe to support him. Sometimes the parson farmed his own glebe.
The Bishop would not consecrate the church or institute to the living till he was satisfied that adequate provision had been made.
In the case of Ashby, the Glebe was as follows:-
i. 12 acres adjoining Silent Lane (or Peckers Lane, or Browston Lane as it is now sometimes
called, or Upper Market Lane) were sold in 1906 to Sir Savile Brinton Crossley whose land
abutted on the East, West, and South of the Glebe.
Ii Just over 8 acres in the Tunstall Marshes - sold in 1968. Originally acquired in 1789, 3
rood 18 perches of it was sold in 1886 to the Great Eastern Railway Company for
|Galfridus de Inglose 1312||John de Inglose|
|Robert de Aldeby 1327||Robert de Inglose|
|John de Baldeswell ----||Robert de Inglose|
|Robert de Mundford 1333||Robert de Inglose|
|Petra Alley 1354||John de Inglose|
|Simon de Bauburgh 1361||Joan, relict (wodow) of above|
|Stephen Halke de Weston 1390||Hugo Falstoffe (High Sheriff of Norfolk and Suffolk, 1390).|
|John Holm 1394||The Bishop by lapse|
|Richard Bretingby 1394||Thomas Edener Esq.|
|William Keyn 1399||Henry de Inglose|
|William Craneworth 1408||Henry de Inglose|
|Richard Eleyne 1416||Henry de Inglose|
|William Coo ----||Henry de Inglose|
|Walter Barford 1429||Henry Inglose Knt.|
|William Smyth 1433||Henry Inglose Knt.|
|Galfridus Halle 1437||Henry Inglose Knt.|
|John Wellarsey 1458||Robert Inglose|
|John Coker 1465||Robert Inglose|
|John Raveningham 1467||Robert Inglose|
|William Beyham 1487||Eleanor, relict of Will Jernegan|
|Radulphus Blomfield 1506||Henry Blomfield Esq.|
|William Cokke 1510||The Bishop by lapse|
|William Copuldyke 1511|
|John Fale 1523||Mary Jernegan. Relict.|
|Hugo Haughworth 1524||Margery Jernegan. Relict.|
|Arthur Trythe 1534||John Jernegan|
|Thomas Pydcoke 1536||John Jernegan|
|Thomas Wytton 1547||John Jernegan|
|William Melling 1553||John Jernegan|
|John Brinsley A.M. 1632||John Wentworth Knt.|
|Ed. Barber 1644||John Wentworth Knt.|
|Edward Mihill Note (1) 1661||Lady Anna Wentworth .|
|Christopher Earcherd M.A. Note (2) 1690||Lady Anne Wentworth|
|Robert Baldwin A.M. 1707||Sir Thomas Allin|
|Abraham Shewell A.M. 1726||Sir Thomas Allin|
|John Bellward A.B. 1757||Sir Thomas Allin|
|Samuel Burrough M.A. 1793||The King on the lunacy of Sir Thomas Allin|
|George Anguish M.A. 1803||The King|
|Edward Missenden Love 1810||The King|
|Ed. Thurlow 1817||George Anguish, Clerk.|
|Charles Hillyer 1859||Charles Lucas Esq.|
|Charles John Steward 1872||Charles Lucas Esq.|
|Thory Gage Gardiner 1897|
|Clement Willoughby Bean M.A. 1898||Sir Savile Brinton Crossley|
|Gerald Halsey M.A. 1926||Sir Savile Brinton Crossley|
|Robert Feast M.A. 1946||Lord Somerleyton, 2nd Baron|
|Bernard Bean B.A. 1953||Lord Somerleyton, 2nd Baron|
|Dr. Edward C. Brooks||1969 Lord Somerleyton, 3rd Baron|
The longest serving rector was William Melling, 1553-1631, 78 years! His first entry in the Old Register is the marriage of William More and Alice Scottow, 20th June 1553, his last the burial of Nicholas Thirling on May 3rd 1632. In the copy made by Bellward, the latter writes 'hactenus Gulielmus Mellinge in tabulas retulit'. If Melling was the canonical age of 24 when instituted, he died 102 years of age, at least.
Norton Nicholls, minister, appears to be omitted from the above list. He appears in the register for 1783 and continues till c. 1801. Joseph Jenner was his churchwarden during the same period, and Nicholls signs the Returns year by year. He was Rector of Lound 1767 to 1810, and of him White in his "Suffolk", 1844, records "Herringfleet Hall. The pleasure grounds were designed by the late Revd. Norton Nicholls and contains a rich variety of thorns, hollies and flowering shrubs." Nicholls also landscaped the 90 acres of Blundeston Lodge (now the prison).
A leaf has been cut out of the Register in 1702.
Under the entry for 1760 there is reference to calling the banns 'till a marriage be bought'.
THE CHURCH RATE AND OVERSEERS' BOOK
This covered the clerk's wages, cleaning the church, repairs to the thatch, whitewashing the church walls, the laundry of the linen, wine and bread for the communion, catching moles, synodals, fetching water, visitation fees, fence repairs clearing the snow, and limewash which cost 8/- in 1857 for the walls.
The Book starts in 1813, with a town stock in that year standing at ?1.7.21/2d and a total rate of ?25.9.4d representing 13d in the ?1 on ?470, levied on James Jenner, Widow Coote, Thomas Morse, John Glasspoole, Anthony Merry, and Widow Barber. By 1854 the number had risen to 12. IN 1814 the clerk's salary was ?1 per annum, and there was a payment of ?6.8.3d to the House of Industry for the half year to Michaelmas 1814. A bill for the whitewashing of the church walls - a regular feature - amounted to 12s 8d. The accounts were countersigned "seen and allowed by us till good cause be shewn to the contrary", Anthony Merry and Richard Lockwood.
The money raised by the parish rate in 1803 had been ?24.8.6d at 1.103/4d in the ?1.
The Book contains the relief of the poor, the cost of jury lists and militia lists, and deliverances to Beccles and Lowestoft.
In 1815 for the journey to Lowestoft, the constable's fee was 14.6d and for the journey to Beccles with a list of persons liable to serve in the militia 6s.0d.
In July 1816, there was a charge of 5s.0d for the journey to Lowestoft to apprehed Thomas Meek for not performing the order of Bastardy, with a further 5s.0d for the constable's journey and 2/- for the actual warrant. By 1821 the town stock stood at ?8.5.81/4d. Attendances at Beccles with a militia list was charged at 8s.6d.
In 1823 the cost of a man working on the path and churchyard for a day was 1s.6d. The county rate stood at ?1.7.9d.
In 1827 for the journey to Lowestoft with the jury list the charge was 8s.6d.
In March 1832 there was paid to the overseers of Pakefield for the relief of George Knight 6s.0d and in July 1833 the overseers paid Mr. Glasspoole, overseer, for the customary journey to the House of Relief (Oulton) 8s.6d, and in June 1836 Mr. Bachelder,
oveseer, was paid 2s.0d to apply for the relief of Mr. & Mrs. Hood at the House.
By Easter 1840 the churchwarden was out of pocket by ?1.19.5d and was repaid.
On Dec. 20th 1840, 1s.0d was paid for "Prayers for the Queen" followed by 1s.6d for "Prayers for Prince Albert" in February 1841 and again in Dec. 1841 (1s.6d) and on February 1st 1s.6d. A new bier cost 13s.0d. In October 1841 1s.6d was paid for a "Prayer for a Bountiful Harvest".
In 1859 there was paid for three men and horses to cart soil 15s.0d, the catching of 6 moles 1s.6d and for 15 loads of gravel for the path ?1.17.6d.
THE PARISH GRAVEL PIT - was situated just below the Rectory.
THE OLDEST TERRIER (AN INVENTORY OF CHURCH GOODS AND GLEBE LANDS) IS FROM 1790 AND IS PRESERVED IN THE NOTES ON Ashby, contained within a document in the Ipswich Record Office.
This refers to 12 acres of glebe - with Silent Lane on the east - and a further 91/2 acres of marshland in Tunstall parish, purchased with Queen Anne's Bounty. Reference is also made to the Elizabethan chalice (1567 Norwich), a small pewter plate, a green carpet for the communion table, with fine linen cloth and napkin for the same, a green pulpit cloth and cushion, a surplice of Holland, a Book of Common Prayer, and a large Bible of the last translation. The Terrier is signed by John Bellward as Rector, Joseph Jenner, churchwarden, and James Jenner, principal inhabitant.
CHURCH PLATE (not in the church)
1 Elizabethan silver chalice engraved "For the Towne of Asbe". Norwich. 1567. 81/2 ozs.
(The Norwich assay was for the period 1564 to 1702. Of the 700 pieces of silver of this period, 500 were of church silver).
1 ornamental silver chalice c. 1883, 53/4 ozs.
1 silver paten with central cross inscribed. 13/4 ozs.
1 small plated chalice with cross on base. 2 ozs.
Dated 15th February 1839, the result of a meeting at Manor Farm (occupied by John Slipper) on the 16th April 1838. The Revd. Edward Thurlow, Rector, was in possession of all the great tithes and the small tithes. Annual sum of all the tithes on lands other than rectorial lands was ?208. This was the total income of the benefice apart from the glebe, the tithe of which stood at ?3. Total acreage of the parish is given as 1,101 acres with 1,053 subject to tithes, exclusive of the glebe. 643 acres were arable, 326 meadow, pasture, and warren, 84 of woodland and water. There was no common land. 8s.0d was payable on 25 acres within the Somerleyton Hall Park, which lay in the parish of Ashby, in the ownership of the Revd. George Anguish, squire, and in the occupation of Robert Flatman. There were 11 acres of public roads and highways.
The surveyor was Richard Barnes of Lowestoft who also did the Herringfleet and Somerleyton Tithe Apportionments.
The principal crops were wheat (18% - 7s.01/4d a bushell), barley (32% - 3s.111/2d a bushell) and oats (50% - 2s.9d a bushell).
There were 8 acres of Donkey pasture, 20 acres of Little Nova Scotia, and 30 of Great Nova Scotia (both arable), a small piece called Bleach and Table Pasture, 10 of rush pits (arable) and 17 of Mole Hills (arable) and 14 acres of Stone Hills (arable), 5 of Grotto Wood (arable), a further 8 of Rush Pits (arable), Lilly's Grove, and 20 acres of New Found (arable).
The landowners are given as the Revd. George Anguish with 828 acres (in the occupation of John Slipper, Robert Flatman the Elder, Robert Flatman the Younger, John Creighton, Widow Leggett, John Mallett, John Harris, John Jarmey, and John Holt), John Francis Leathes of Herringfleet Hall (in the occupation of George Thurkell the Younger) and the Revd. Edward Thurlow (in the occupation of John Rudrum). Total 1098 acres with 11 acres of roads.
There was apparently no statutory enclosure for Ashby, as there was for Someyleyton in 1803 and Herringfleet in 1813. Tate's Handlist of Suffolk Enclosure Awards lists no enclosure for Ashby.
With its small population there is no record of any school in Ashby. The Report on Education in Lothingland 1839 records that the children of this parish were educated at Lound School, recently built, while later some went to the Rector's Room school, to
Somerleyton School on the green and to Herringfleet School. The children now go to Somerleyton which serves the catchment area of the four parishes, Somerleyton, Ashby, Herringfleet and Fritton, though the latter is in Norfolk.
EARLY WILLS for the period 1458 to 1641
Alice Buckmonger - her husband, William, had held "Bucmonger's" with 32 acres in 1458-1464. In 1485 "Buckmonger's" was held by Giles Brewys, and was leased to John Jernegan.
Thomas Moore of Ashby, Suffolk, yeoman, 1597.
Avis Sanctuarye (?) 1551
Thomas Ellis, yeoman, 1623
John Pope, husbandman, 1641.
Author: The Revd. Dr. Edward C. Brooks, Rector of Somerleyton.Publication Secretaries: