This set of pages is based on "A thousand years of village history - Herringfleet, Suffolk, by the Revd. Dr. Edward C. Brooks, Rector of Somerleyton and Ashby with Herringfleet from 1969 to 1983, and author of "Sir Samuel Morton Peto".
For the purpose of this study the area covered is the old pre-1974 parish of Herringfleet which included the area known as St. Olaves, the site of the Priory. In 1801 the acreage was 1282 acres and 47 acres of waste and rand. There is really no village,
but isolated crops of houses. The parish lies about 8 miles from Lowestoft and 7 from Gt. Yarmouth and both sides of the B1074 from Somerleyton to St. Olaves Bridge. Its population (pre-1974) was on average about 260.
Pre-history and Herringfleet Church
Saxon period and the Church
Medieval period and the Ferry
The Bridges, 1496 - 1847
|This site designed and maintained by Internetworks Ltd|
first posted 15 March 1999 last revised 20 February 2004
|Comments/ suggestions/ problems, please get in touch with the Webmaster|